Friday, July 9, 2010

The 3rd Trimester

It's hard to believe how fast time is flying by these days!  We're officially in the third trimester with only 11 weeks to go before we get to meet our little girl.  I still feel like we have a lot to do before I'll be prepared for her arrival (but do you ever really feel prepared?)!  Cody is constantly being given new jobs around the house that I insist on being done before the baby arrives (I think the "nesting" phase has started), but he's been a trooper and I know somehow everything will get done.  I definitely feel like I'm growing by the day!  Here I am at 29 weeks:

I wanted to write down some of my thoughts on the pregnancy at this point more for my memories than anything else!
  • Sleeping has become a rarity.  I wake up 3-4 times a night to go to the bathroom and usually can't fall back asleep due to my back hurting and/or Cody snoring, or "breathing heavy" as he calls it.  Even with a million pillows on the bed, I usually just can't find a position that doesn't make my back or hips ache.  
  • I've never been more thankful to be on summer break.  With the lack of sleep, I don't know how I would be functioning working full time right now, so I'm thankful for the timing of a summer break during my third trimester.  I'll be working part time (2-3 days a week) in September until the baby comes so I'm glad I won't be on my feet all day every day at that point.
  • A lot of people have asked about my food cravings.  At this point, it's watermelon!  I can't seem to get enough of it and usually eat about half a small watermelon a day (is that normal?).  Good thing it's in season right now!  I figure it's a good thing to crave...more so than the french fries I was craving at the beginning of the pregnancy!
  • I've become a very uncoordinated, clumsy person.  I never considered myself super coordinated, but I tend to drop and/or spill almost anything.  This has included spilled milk (pretty much daily), dropped bottles of vitamins (we're talking Costco size bottles of little vitamins), pots and pans, jars of pasta sauce, etc.  I'm blaming my "baby brain" for my klutziness.
  • I'm pretty sure the baby is already practicing her kickboxing moves.  I love being able to feel her constant movements and kicks, although sometimes that too keeps me up at night!  We love pushing on my belly and feeling her respond to the movement and being able to identify her knees, elbows, head, etc.  
  • We're starting to get a name narrowed down, but we're not ready to share :).  We started with a big list of girl names and have it narrowed down to about two or three now.  I still want to wait to meet her and see what she looks like before we officially announce a name.   I have to admit it's hard being a teacher and having so many associations with students I've had or known!
We'll hope I survive being pregnant during a hot summer!  September 25 can't get here soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. crazy that you only have 11 weeks left! can't wait for your shower in just a few weeks!!:)
    and, you look great!
    p.s. have you tried holding cody's mouth while he is sleeing yet?!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just laughing out loud as I read some of the pregnancy memories you're documenting! Those pregnancy books don't lie do they??? The lack of sleep---oh man, let me just say that naps are critical from this point on. You are so lucky to be on summer break right now! And the hip pain---ugh, sorry you have to deal with that. I get super jealous if I see people laying on their stomaches! Oh, I love Cody's "heavy breathing" is that like a right of passage for all men to start snoring! It's especially irritating when you are pissed that you can't sleep. I just wake Keith up, he doesn't even remember in the morning. Watermelon...yummy! Mine has been strawberries since about week 14, it's rare if a day goes by and I don't have a strawberry. A friend of mine could go through a whole costco size bag of grapefruit on her own in less than a week! Oh and the clumsiness...have you started misjudging your belly size and bumping into things yet? Pregnancy, so fun! 11 weeks, you're getting so close! Keep the posts coming, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete