Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Introducing Lucy!


 Lucy Joye Lamens
9 lbs. 12 oz.
21 inches
04.15.13
10:08am

We are in love!  Lucy joined our family on April 15 via scheduled c-section.  Lucy's birth was so different than what I experienced with Ella.  We had known since about 32 weeks that Lucy was indeed breech, and had been measuring big all along.  Our wonderful doctors that we consulted with throughout my whole pregnancy strongly suggested not to try to externally turn her because of her size and brought up that a c-section was a good possibility.  A c-section wasn't on our radar at all, so it took awhile to get used to the idea.  We prayed for clarity in making the decision as to whether we should attempt an external version and a vaginal birth (with the possibility of an emergency c-section if the external version didn't work and/or Lucy was too big to fit through the birth canal) or if we should plan on a scheduled c-section.  We wanted to avoid an emergency c-section if at all possible, so we decided that if she didn't turn on her own, that a c-section was our best option since it was the least amount of risk for Lucy.  With our doctor's advice, we settled on a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks.  Leading up to the date, I was very anxious.  With Ella, we didn't know when I would go into labor, and each day close to her due date we had the thought, "maybe today will be the day!"  With Lucy, we had a lot of time to think about and plan for her birth.  The planner part of me liked the fact that I could have everything ready ahead of time and know that Ella was in good hands with my mom being up here.  But I also had a lot of time to dwell on the fact that I would be awake during a major surgery and that made me very anxious and nervous.  

The morning of April 15, my mom came over to hang out with Ella and Cody and I arrived at the hospital at 7:30am.  After two hours of surgery prep, blood work, IV's, and paperwork, they wheeled me into the operating room.  I've never had surgery before, so it was all a little overwhelming.  Once we were in, it seemed like things happened very quickly - so thankful the doctors and nurses do this all the time and know what they're doing!  Being awake during the surgery was very surreal.  I could feel all of the pulling, tugging, and pressure, but none of the pain.  We knew things were going okay as the doctors were all having regular conversations, laughing, and talking about an upcoming 5K they were participating in :).  After a few minutes, we heard the most wonderful cry and we got to see our sweet girl.  They took her over to be "fluffed", and Cody got to cut her umbilical cord, and hold her right away.  It's amazing to me that within an hour, Lucy was born and we were wheeled back into the labor and delivery room.  Ella was the first to meet her little sister and was so, so sweet with her.

The meaning behind Lucy's name: Lucy means “light”.  She truly is a light in our lives and a blessing to our family.  Joye is after my grandma who we love and admire dearly.  We hope Lucy will have the same joy, spark, and laughter about life as Grandma Joye does.   


 I may be smiling in the following picture but I was shaking uncontrollably at this point...
 I usually don't like the "just born" pictures, but I wanted to remember this one, as this was the first time I saw Lucy.  The doctor told us how "dense" she felt even before weighing her :).
 Typical breech baby with legs in the air!










Ella didn't hesitate holding Lucy and smothered her with hugs and kisses without us prompting her to do so - makes me tear up every time I look at these pictures...






So special for Lucy to meet her Grandma, Grammy and Grampy, Uncle Beau, and Uncle Tom at the hospital...






 My fabulous doctor, Dr. Spence, who also delivered Ella...
Lucy grew out of newborn diapers while still in the hospital :)...






 I wish we had gotten pictures of everyone who sweetly came to meet Lucy at the hospital.
Matt, Alison, and Nathan came by - we can't wait to meet Nathan's little brother in a few weeks!
 My lovely friend Rebekah



 Ready to head home from the hospital at 3 days old!




2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I have been waiting for these pictures. She seriously is so sweet. She looks like a little doll! I cannot wait to meet her, and SO wish that I was there now. Ahhh! My favorites are the first one of her by your face, and the one where she is looking at you with her fingers in her mouth. :) We love you Lucy and cannot wait to meet you soon!!

    p.s. I am so happy that we will have daughters growing up at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful, Bethany! Congratulations and I'm so glad the delivery went so well - even though it was different than Ella. Maybe it's just to prep you on how different they'll be from one another :) (at least that's how I think it was for Clara & Caleb - their differences started with their pregnancies and labor stories and continue!).

    And there is nothing better than watching sibling relationship grow. Yay for SISTERS!!!

    ReplyDelete