I did it! I finally completed my first half marathon alongside my best friend! As you may remember from a previous post, I had planned on doing a half marathon with Carly, Neal, and Cody back when they all did the Cinco de Mayo Run in May. However, a back injury prevented me from running the race and it was so disappointing at the time. Carly is an amazing friend who said she would still run a half marathon with me, so we signed up for the See Jane Run Half Marathon in Seattle (over 2,000 women running for champagne and chocolate!) and I was able to continue training after my back healed. After training for essentially 7 months, I felt more prepared for this run and was so glad I had no injuries! The course started and finished at Gas Works Park and went around Lake Union. My goal was to run the entire thing, and I was proud of myself for accomplishing that goal. Carly ran with me the whole time and we crossed the finish line together. It took us 2:09 to run the 13.1 miles. This was Carly's 5th half marathon (told you she was amazing!) and she continues to be my inspiration! Thanks Carly for running with me - I couldn't have done it without you!
So good to see Cody and Ella, Neal and the Pickering boys, and my parents at the finish line!
After our race, we went home for a few hours and then headed off to Cody and Neal's race - the Warrior Dash. This was the craziest, muddiest run I've ever seen or could have imagined. It's a 5K run through mud and obstacles with a turkey leg and viking hat as a prize for all the "warrior" participants. The guys had been warned that they would get muddy, but we had no idea that going with the kids would mean we would all get super muddy. The race was out in North Bend and they had you park at a farm and then take a shuttle bus to the field the race took place in. After thousands of muddy people had already ridden the buses all day Saturday and Sunday, the bus seats were encrusted with mud and dirt and it was impossible not to get dirty :). We loaded on the buses with all our strollers and kids and ended up having a great time watching the guys.
Neal and Cody pre-race
Our little spectators
Neal crawling through the mud
Cody at the final obstacles
Entering the mud pit...
See that splash of mud!? Cody's fully submerged. Note: they did not HAVE to do a complete head-dive...Cody is quite a warrior! ;)
Scariest picture I have ever seen of my husband :). Ella didn't know what to think.
The masses of donated, muddy shoes
Even though it was a busy weekend, we had a great time with the Pickerings and the kids were quite the troopers through all the craziness. Thanks Carly and Neal for coming over for another fun weekend together!
oh my gosh. i just laughed out loud seeing the pictures of cody in the mud again. so funny. wow! what a day. the kids were troopers (and us too right?;). thanks for running with ME, i had a great time! love you!
ReplyDelete