Monday, May 9, 2011

Half Marathon

After I had Ella and dealt with some not-so-fun health issues I was determined to start working out again and get back into shape.  I figured if I signed up for a half marathon and started training, it would give me a goal to work towards.  I was inspired by my friend Carly who has run a few half marathons and we thought it would be fun to do one together.  Back in December, we convinced our hubbies to sign up for a run with us and our goal was set to do the Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon in Snoqualmie.  I was definitely not a runner and could barely run two miles when I started training in January.  Ella and I logged many miles with her in the stroller (and pushing 30 lbs. made running all that much more difficult) and it was always a challenge to work runs in around her nap times and in between rainy downpours with our lovely winter weather.  Cody was also challenged and has never considered himself a runner - clearly his body type isn't what you generally see running long distances!  He equates himself to a tank, which you don't often see driving for long distances on the freeway ;).  We both gave up numerous Saturday mornings and planned our weekends so we could take turns doing our long runs while the other person stayed home with Ella.  Somehow between all these challenges, I actually started to enjoy running and looked forward to them.

Then three weeks before the race, I did my longest training run, which was 10 miles.  I completed it and was pretty proud of myself for running the whole way!  After I got back I noticed my back hurt every time I stepped on my right foot.  We're talking about shooting pain running from my lower back through the back of my leg.  I was hopeful that the pain would go away on it's own, but it just got worse over the next few days and there was no way I could run; even walking was painful.  I decided to see an osteopathic doctor and was told that I had sprained a ligament in my lower back.  I met with him twice a week in the weeks leading up to the race for manipulation therapy - lots of intense stretching and massage in the hopes that I would be well enough to run the half marathon.  A few days before the race, my doctor told me that if I attempted to do it I would most likely be in a lot of pain and risk messing my back up even more since it wasn't all the way healed.  The thought of starting the healing process over again was disheartening.  So I decided it wasn't worth it to do the race.  Let's just say I was beyond disappointed.  After all the months of hard work I had put into training and then to not have that sense of accomplishment at the end was tough and disappointing. 

Even though I didn't get to do the race, I still had a great weekend as Carly, Neal and their boys came over to stay with us.  It was so much fun spending time with the Pickering family and watching Cody, Carly and Neal cross the finish line. 

Carly and Neal right after crossing the finish line - they did an awesome job despite the horrible downpour at the end!
 Thank goodness for the rain cover on the stroller - Ella stayed dry and happy!
 Just a little bit wet
 Cody crossing the finish line!
Don't mind the foggy look of the pictures - the camera got a bit wet
 Ella and her daddy
 Way to go babe - so proud of you!
 Carly and I are already looking into doing another half marathon together this summer
Hugs for dad!
Ella had to sport her baby Nike's on race day
 Our good friends Lisa and Jamie also did an awesome job finishing the race!
Cinco de Mayo Half Marathon complete! Congrats guys!
Carly made us some incredible post-race desserts including this delicious peanut butter pie
Ella loved hanging out with the Pickering boys - Benjamin, Ella, Andrew, and Levi

 

 

 Thanks for coming over Pickerings!  We love you guys!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your injury! But you seem to have a pretty good attitude about it---you're amazing! I hope your body is able to fully heal so you can do a half marathon some day. You are an inspiration to me, I really should make a running goal like you did. Congrats to Cody, Carly & Neal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was such a fun weekend (minus you not being able to run!). so excited for round two in july! is andrew being a pirate in the group shot? nice! ;)

    ReplyDelete